The Hero Wars Wars beginning again...

From: Erik Sieurin <erik.sieurin_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:56:15 +0200

>From: <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>

>As for social=20
>situations, it doesn't suit my gamestyle to have dice rolls for that,=20
>although I know many disagree. IMO, having social rules that resemble =
the=20
>combat rules of a game is almost too hideous to contemplate, no matter =
how=20
>good they are :-)

There's a rub, and a trouble: I love 'em, and thinks HW does it very = well. But when I tried to lure my Stooory-telling pals into Glorantha by = playing HW ( a cunning plan, I thought) they recoiled at just this idea, = and
was slightly abhored by the idea to have any kind of statistics for it: = 'All those things can be _roleplayed_!'
However, they seemed to appreciate the game ideas very much otherwise, = and loved the 'betting system' for combat...=20

><< That's my opinion anyway. HW is a spanking good game for adventuring =
in=20
>Glorantha, and hopefully all HW-sceptics and RQ-fanatics will come to =
realize=20
>that too.>>
>
> A pretty vain hope, I fear. It would require everyone to have the =
same=20
>tastes in gaming, which is evidently a false proposition.=20
Please repeat that. There are _so_ many people who need to hear that.

>Personally, I'm=20
>pretty confident that I won't use the HW system, although I'll =
certainly=20
>pinch bits of it for my own Gloranthan gaming. That doesn't mean I =
think its=20
>a bad system, just that what I've heard doesn't appeal to me; =
fortunately I=20
>suspect I'm in a minority potential-new-converts-wise so I'm not too =
worried=20
>by that.

I'm in a vaguely similar position: Here's my few clacks. HW will, unless Chaosium somehow screws it up, be the best system to = date for those who prefer 'storytelling' as the main way of describing = RPGs - if they can get the simple point that if you use storytelling to = work combats, there is room for using game mechanics to work social = interaction.

However, I'm not sure that I _do_ prefer the storytelling paradigm = (dodges flames for using the 'p-word') - look up Paul Mason's excellent = fanizine "imazine" at =
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/panurge/ for someone = with similar feelings who is better arguing his cause than me. Or at = least I'm not sure I always do it. Thus, I'll probably buy HW for three = reasons:
1, It will contain good gameable Glorantha material. 2, I can use HW itself to 'snare' White Wolf storytelling gamers so they = become Greggites.
3, I can pinch HW mechanics concepts for my Gloranthan and = non-Gloranthan gaming using other systems... But it won't be my favorite system for Gloranthan experiences.

Alex:
>Actually, people who play RQ, love RQ to bits, and will give up playing
>RQ when hell freezes over, should really rejoice at the design =
decisions
>made in HW. As you were all not going to play HW _anyway_, the style
>of HW character sheets (for example) makes it all the easier to ignore
>the (subminal) intrusion of the game mechanics you'll abhore, and
>DWIM in RQ terms. Probably less painful than trying to =
reverse-engineer
>fatigue points back into ENC levels, run initiation level conversions
>in reverse and such like.

Mucho heartily seconded.

Michael my fellow Fennoswede:
>>Hard is it may be to believe,
>>there are lots of people who don't want to play in a game world where
>>combat consists of 20 people swinging from chandeliers Errol =
Flynn-style,
>>with nobody on the ground actually fighting... ;)
>
>Hard as it may be for you to believe, i'm one of them.
As I have played beta-HW with Michael as GM, I can bear witness that = this is, indeed, true.

For whatever it is worth...