HW Campaign length

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:54:03 -0400

Nick Effingham writes:
>The two systems have their benefits and drawbacks. i for one, don't =

>think I (notice the _I_) could run Hero Wars every week - I just =

>don't have the inventive capacity. RuneQuest, at least, does not =

>REQUIRE such evocative descriptions to still be fun, whilst Hero Wars =

>will lose something without them but BOTH systems can be dressed up =

>by inventive GM's and players to be descriptive/dramatic etc... the =

>virtue of Hero Wars, however, is that it DEMANDS that you dress it =

>up. Good for small campaigns, or campaigns not run as often, but not =

>for a week in/week out game IMO.

To be encouraging on the HW campaign front, I can tell you I've ran 21 sessions to date (in around 8 months) of the Gwandor (Culbrea) campaig= n,

as described and posted on Wesley Quadros' excellent site. I would have still =

been running the campaign if it wasn't for my schedule of study and work right
now, but it will continue, probably in a week or two. =

The Seattle dudes have been running a few campaigns for at least as long-=

HI GUYS! :) = The system is like any other roleplay system, where it has advantages is in its application of social skills that games like RQ don't really cater=

for.
In this sense, the HW _campaign_ is hugely strengthened as the players spend their plot points on followers, patrons, new skills and abilities that
allow them to interact with their world effectivel. =

The system is quick and although one may become jaded with describing every attack in an inventive way, this really isn't the point of the system. =

The players pend far more time dealing with the environment they live in and the NPCS they interact with that just swinging a sword.

In other words, the HW system encourages long term thinking on the part of the players AND the GM and this can only be a good thing for creating inventive campaigns.

Regards

Martin