Re : Atheists and magic

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:37:04 +0100

bjm10 :

>In Glorantha, one can be an atheist and still admit to the existence of
>Orlanth, et al. One simply denies that they are gods.

Indeed untill a few centuries ago, atheist had a completely different meaning to the modern usage. Nowadays atheist means "Someone who does not believe there is a god", whereas histopricaly it was commonly used to refer to people who did not believe in your conception of god.

"I believe that god is XXX, in fact I _know_ that god is XXX. He believes that god is YYY. However I know that god is not YYY, therefore he does not believe in god. He is an atheist."

Thus Malkioni and Orlanthi could perfectly reasonably refer to each other as atheists.

Simon Hibbs