RQ Cities and Irillian

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 18:31:16 +0100

Ash:-

>Dom Twist mentions the old WD series on an AD&D city sometime around WD
>40ish.

It also apeared in a Best of WD Scenario's (III I think). It was originally published in 4 parts.
The 'Best of' was all in one peice except for a 'Rumble at the Tin Inn' pull out. Yep the Tin Inn was a follow up to Apple Lane and was a wonderfull bar brawl. I still reach for the (A4) floor plans for the Tin Inn now and then.

>Before this, they did a series of articles "Designing a quasi-medieval
>society for D&D" (WD 29 and 30) and "The Town Planner" (WD 31 -33). IMHO
>this wees over the RQ cities supplement - some of the best articles WD ever
>did. Okay, so all the historical guff is for the Middle Ages, but the basic
>ideas are there.

The Irilian setting was gob-smackingly wonderfull. But it just doesnt fit Glorantha or any other system than 1st Ed ADD. The adventure worked into the setting was wonderfully dark if a tad scripted. As a player and a GM I can still remember names and locations from the setting and I havent played through it for allmost 10 years.

My most memorable character ever, I'm still using his name as my e-mail address, spent months of game time carving out control of the Gelgagang 'Gallows Gate Gang' Theives.

Why am I wittering on about it? Because well defined, slightly shabby, cities make for WONDERFULL playing enviroments. Irilian, Thieves World and the rest are still incredibly popular. As Chaoism have produced the best ever comercial city settings (Ok Lankhmar and Waterdeep etc by TSR and some of the MERP stuff was good but not as good IMO), both outside of Glorantha and inside it (The Pavis detail is practicaly identical to Tulan, Carse and TW).

So why stop? If Issaries dont plan to define any cities, we should! the Cities/RQ Cities/Thieves World sets have a fair amount of the ground work. It can be improved I'm sure. Does Anybody out there have copies of those old WD's with city designer stuff in them?

They were in WD 31-33 written by Paul Vernon. Daniel Collerton wrote Irilian. (Ok I went and looked 'em up)

Dom