Re: Vingan myths and magics

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:33:12 -0700

Jane Williams queries

> > Issaries already had plenty of fine magic, appropriate to the game.
> > Vinga didn't.

> Yes, most of her stuff can be abstracted as "improve fighting ability".
> Presumably the game doesn't go into any more detail than that. (No
> Orlanth Adventurous? Not even called "Warrior"?)

Orlanth has fighting magic, but there's no Orlanth Adventurous.

> But, given that she's now got this scouting magic, how do you make it
> work mythically? We know she's a warrior goddess: do you give her a
> myth in which she develops her own scouting abilities, or steals them
> from some enemy, or is taught them by another of the pantheon, or
> what?

There are zero published myths of Vinga, short of some amusing fan-written ones. If you think Vinga needs a myth to explain this, give her one. I presume you also wrote myths for why Issaries knows how to trade, why Lhankor Mhy knows so much, why Chalana Arroy is so kind, etc. I'm willing to accept that fighting and exploring are part of her nature. Both helped her (and her people) to survive the Darkness. Gods that didn't have useful abilities didn't survive. Some important gods acquired lots of new abilities, but most got by with what they were.

Heck, short of the Lightbringers Quest, I don't think you can point to a myth of Issaries, Lhankor Mhy, or Chalana Arroy. Mythlets maybe, and they might make cameo appearances in other myths. (This is remedied in the computer game, by the way.)

> Presumably it's a part of the main-stream Vingan cult, not a sub-cult?

I don't believe Vinga is a large enough cult to have subcults (though I think there is regional variation within a culture). Thus, some places might emphasize Vinga the Scout, while others emphasize Vinga the Fighting Woman. (In Sartar, Scout might be unknown, while in the settlement days it was considerably more important.)

Unless you're of the belief that each and every spell is a separate subcult (and some days talking to Greg I get this impression from him).