Re: Issaries politics; Hero Wars RPG

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:33:56 -0700

Peter Metcalfe

> >Issaries is one of the few cults that might NOT be split along clan and
> >tribal lines, given that many of its members travel around a lot and
> >associate with members from other clans and tribes.

> Goldentongue travels around a lot but not Garzeen shopkeepers who
> stay in one place and have roots in their community. IMO more
> Orlanthi worship the Garzeen subcult than the Goldentongue hence
> local issaries temples will be dominated by clan and tribal politics.

You're undoubtedly right about the numbers. However, I believe that the Trader Prince (aka Goldentongue), as the name suggests, has higher status among the cult. Their influence outweighs their numbers, and thus local Issaries temples aren't necessarily as tied to clan or tribe.

Note that even if you don't buy this, many Issaries temples are on trading routes, and thus deal with lots of members of other clans and tribes.

I'm not suggesting that Issaries temples always put aside their local loyalties, but I do think it's the cult most likely to do so.

I'd add the proviso that if the Orlanth cult ever decides to do so, they would be more enthusiastic about it. Hence Argrath. (Of course, each tribal Orlanth center probably chooses a different Argrath, but that's a different story.)

Norbert Franz wondered about forthcoming products.

> Is it going to feature ONLY
> Orlanthi info, with the other Gloranthan cultures merely hinted at

It's my understanding that the roleplaying game will have some information on cultures other than the Orlanthi -- it is the Hero Wars after all, and that takes more than one side. It will probably need to do so if for no other reason than to explain magic systems other than divine magic.