Sartarite Roads

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:26:47 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Practically all Sartarite princes (descended from Saronil) were road
>builders. Now roads don't remain in shape all by themselves, there is
>bound to be some frost damage to the road cover in typical Sartarite
>weather. Who keeps the roads in good working order?

Given that road building is stongly associated with the King, I'd suggest that the regular worship of Sartar helps to keep the roads and the City Walls in good working shape. With the demise of Sartar's worship since the Lunar Conquest, the Lunars are busy drafting people left, right and centre to keep the roads in good working order.

That way, we get rid of the "body of accountants, scribes, and foremen supervising the work" that sounds positively unorlanthi to my ears. And we also have a reason why Lunar rule is seemingly more oppressive than the old rule of the King of Sartar.

> And there are zilch other Magistrates in Sartar.

>That awaits to be seen when and if official detail on Sartarite cities
>gets published.

We already have sufficent details from KoS. If there were major magistrates other than the mayors, then they would have been mentioned.

>I can't see how the tribesmen build advanced bridges.

More primitive people than the Orlanthi have erected Stonehenge, the Pyramids amongst other things. Thus I fail to see how a few circular arched bridges are beyond Orlanthi competence.

>> There are no Mayors of Boldhome.

>I'd like to see the source for this.

Negative evidence in that Boldhome has no mayoral palace both in KoS and the Rough Guide to Boldhome. I've already listed appropiate RW parallels earlier in the thread.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #1