RE: The Glorantha Digest V7 #2

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:53:49 -0700

>From: "Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
>Subject: XU and Orlanth myths
>
>Can anyone think of any myths that link Xiola Umbar and the Orlanth
>pantheon?

I really don't think that there is any specific "Xiola befriends the Storm Tribe" myth.

However, here is always "Protecting the Weak", which seems to be XU's big catch all myth for making friends. Other points of possible interaction could be in the "Sandals of Darkness" episode, or possibly the Hill of Gold. It is possible for XU show up nearly any time that ZZ smashes someone.

XU isn't exactly the most reputable of Uz gods anyhoo, so I'm afraid she's not the best choice for an enlo attempting to prove it's Uzhood... That is Kyger Litor's schtick. XU is at best a tolerated outsider, a great way for an enlo to stay alive (and possibly befriend some orlanthi that won't eat it), but not so great for convincing the matrons to adopt you.

There was, in the first age, a XU hero in Dara Ni who was well known for her association with the local orlanthi. Just how well known this is may very well depend on our next few game sessions however ;-) See David Dunham's page for the (possibly) ongoing history of Ernandel and Martog Darkwhisper. If we are not utterly destroyed by the Dara Happans in the next little bit here, there could concievably be a Orlanthi "Dark Healer" hero cult of some sort that could be of interest to your short friend...

danm

ps -- now poor David's going to have to post more of the campaign write-ups ;-)