Miscellaneous

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:18:54 +0100

Philip "One-L" Hibbs asked:

> How can I search back issues of the Glorantha Digest? I know there's a
> search page, but I've lost track of it.

It's at <http://chmeee.pronetsolutions.com/gd/>

And it's marvellous.

Joerg wrote (to Peter):

>> There are no Mayors of Boldhome.

> I'd like to see the source for this. Home of the Bold featured a mayoral
> election. I can't see why this should not be the case, although the
> question remains whether Boldhome had a mayor prior to the Lunar
> occupation.

HotB had the office of Mayor of Boldhome suspended by the Lunars after their conquest of Sartar, then reinstated (controversially) in 1624, when the game is set.

Peter wrote (to Joerg):

> Negative evidence [for Mayors of Boldhome] in that Boldhome has no mayoral
> palace both in KoS and the Rough Guide to Boldhome.

This suggests to me that the Mayor of Boldhome has no Palace, not that there is no Mayor of Boldhome. After all, if we accept the Rough Guide to Boldhome as a source, shouldn't we also consider the contents of the game for which it was written?

Julian wrote:

> I was working from an old source describing Sartar circa 1600, probably
> information for starting up the _old_ Sartar campaign project based on
> the Chaosium house RQ2 campaign.

David Hall's tribal census in Questlines #1 is a more accessible source. I suspect that at the time the old Sartar Campaign material was written, most player-character Sartarites had French names...

Alex wrote:

> Re: Sartar Tribes

>> Swenston Ring : The PJs live next door to the Swenston peoples, and >> given that they're such important _allies_ of Sartar

> Would it then be fair to say they were allies of the Swenston tribes/
> Ring? Or are they actual _members_ of same, in some sense?

I've always thought of the Barbarian Horde as allies of Sartar's Kingdom (and thereafter the Kingdom of Sartar), not as members in the same sense as the "24" tribes. Like Julian, I'd assume their relations with the Dundealos (as Sartar's Praxian Frontiersmen par excellence) would be normally rather good. FWIW.

>> There is a kind of no-man's land separating the PJs from the >> Dundealosi, if I'm reading my maps correctly ...

I assume this is a misinterpretation of "No Man's March" -- i.e. the western strip of Prax which settlers can't hold onto.

___
Ian asks:

> anyone know what the apprentice guild publications:
> children of entropy
> behind the masque
> cults of light and death
> are like?? (content and quality)

Rick Meints has published his opinions of these and countless other RQ and Gloranthan publications in his MIG II, available now from your local Megacorp dealers.

Cheers, Nick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #4