Re: Sartar Road Worship

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:28:45 EDT

Peter M:

<< Given that road building is stongly associated with the King, I'd  suggest that the regular worship of Sartar helps to keep the roads  and the City Walls in good working shape. With the demise of Sartar's  worship since the Lunar Conquest, the Lunars are busy drafting people  left, right and centre to keep the roads in good working order.

 That way, we get rid of the "body of accountants, scribes,  and foremen supervising the work" that sounds positively unorlanthi  to my ears. And we also have a reason why Lunar rule is seemingly  more oppressive than the old rule of the King of Sartar.

I like this idea, agreeing that accountants are unorlanthi. I'm not sure that by worshipping Sartar the roads magically repair themselves, I would prefer to think that perhaps repairing the roads IS an act of worship. People do bits as they travel along the roads in respect for Sartar, every season a group will go to repair a bridge on the day designated by Sartar himself, and now by clan tradition. This option gets rid of the need for scribes and accountants and adds a scenario hook:

The traditional clan duty is to repair the bridge over Finch Brook but that Bridge is now in Orvard territory, who we have a feud with. We either sneak to the bridge and repair it on the quiet, repair the Sparrow road section for the Redhen clan and ask them to repair the Finch Bridge, as they have no feud with either of us, ask for a Lunar escort as we repair the bridge, or do not repair the bridge and lose Sartar's bounty. (more options added as you think of them)

Keith N