Alone Ring

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:30:42 +0200

>> > There was.
>>
>> Tell me more, tell me more...
>
>In 1600, according to what I have, the Alone Ring consisted of :
>Alone : 700 souls
>the Tres : 4,300
>the Amad : 2,500 (who lived in Snakepipe Hollow)
>the Bachad : 6,100

Alone was built for the Tarsh Exile survivors of Grizzley Peak. The Tres, Amad and Bachad tribes were already there (probably since 1490. I imagine a significant amount of anti-lunar Tarshites fled to Far Point after 1490). Not all Tarsh Exiles moved into Alone; quite a lot of them presumably went to live with their kinfolk among the tribes.

Alone is the primary market and a neutral ground for the three tribes. So it probably qualifies as a City Ring.

But the Amad tribe definitely doesn't live in Snakepipe Hollow.

>Typical Orlanthi apparently (whatever that means).

Considering that the Tarsh and Far Point 'cultures' are made up of all manners of refugees from various places up north, 'typical' should read 'heterodox' in this case.

>Probably no such Ring in 1620.

I think the 'Ring' is still operational in 1620. You won't find many Harvar-defying Orlanthi rebels there, though (or at least you won't find anyone who says he is such a rebel).

>John Hughes says (in QL) that these tribes are relatively safe in
>their isolation. The Bachad, certainly. The Tres maybe. But the Amad
>have to get by with living on the edge of the Stinking forest, hunting
>inside the Hollow, and eking out some mucky little existence as an
>insulating layer between the Hollow and the other tribes. If they've
>any brains, they've refused to do this; and either migrated to other
>lands, or forcefully created their own miserable little niche in the
>Forest. Probably a bit of both, leaving it to the Tres to deal
>(unsuccessfully) with Chaos incursions from the Hollow. Perhaps, there
>is no such thing as an integrated Amad Tribe at the beginning of the
>Hero Wars period. Baroshi is probably an Amad god.

The Stinking Forest is *north* of the Hollow. Far Point is *south* (and south-west) of it. All the sources i've seen place the Amadings in the foothills of the Indigo Mountains, north of Alone and east of the Tovtaros.

I don't think anyone in Far Point worships Baroshi. Not until the PCs find him and restore him and his glory. Just like Firshala.

>Probably, the Bachad Tribe has sole control of the City in 1620. The
>Tres look like they're too isolated to be an effective opposition
>party ... and the Amad have certainly given up on the confederation.

All of the three tribes live directly adjacent to Alone. The Bachadings live to the south and east of Alone. The Tressings to the west and the Amadings to the north. I actually suspect the Tressings to be the strongest tribal factor in Alone, since they are the most pro-lunar of the three. At least the chief of the Tressings (and presumably his clan) is pro-lunar.