Solar (Mis)use of LBQ

From: Nick Hollingsworth <NickH_at_compans.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:31:54 +0100

I believe there is a heroquest based on the LBQ that has not [AFAIK] been described - the Solar cultures could use the quest, which essentially climaxes in a solar/storm compromise, _against_ the lightbringers.

In part the LBQ says that when everything seems lost there is a way to recover the essentials if you are willing to go through hell and back. The lightbringers enact this myth, casting their allies and enemies in the various roles and heroquesting to force everything to come out right again.

The solar cultures share certain key portions of the same myth, though with a different spin on them. From their perspective the story goes something like this: things get as bad as they can get, then an apologetic enemy turns up, admits you were right(ish), gets you out of the hell he put you in, then begs your help to rebuild everything.

It seems to me that the solar cults could enact this end part of the LBQ to force orlanthi to behave in a suitably orlanthi manner. Its a 'get out of jail free card' that can turn a defeat into a draw, if you win you don't need it, if you lose you bump it up to a draw by HQing. However I don't recall ever reading of such a thing being performed.

Question: Do the lunars have a good enough grip on the solar myths to use the LBQ this way?
Are the lunars so closely tied to the yelmic cults that form part of the empire that they have any hope of pulling this off?

Perhaps this could be part of some white moon strategy: allow the turbulent barbarians to destroy you, so that you can turn this apparent defeat into a mutually beneficial and ultimately stable compromise?

Nick H

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #13