Re: The Herds of Prax; Solar (Mis)use of LBQ

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:14:02 -0700

Andreas Gustafsson asked

Do the Bison tribe only herd bison or do they have primarily bison, but some cattle also?

No cattle, which are no part of Waha's pact. (Depending on the Bison clan, when they steal cattle from the Pol-joni, they either kill them and let them rot, or butcher and eat them right away, rather than sully their herds with them.)

But other herd beasts are fine, although a temporary part of the herd. If you capture some high llamas, you'd keep them until you were ready to eat them (thus conserving your bison). But you wouldn't let them breed.

> Another thing I've begun to feel is that it is sometimes very hard
> to visualize
> some parts of Glorantha. Prax for example, if all those beasts are
> living there
> it ought to be pretty fertile, but it's described as being pretty barren.

Prax is like parts of the American west. It's really not very fertile (you can't farm there without irrigation), but you can raise cattle. And keep in mind that Prax can be fairly barren and still support herds -- as long as you're nomadic and use lots of land. Which, in fact, the Praxians do. (The Middle East might be another model, though I'm less familiar with it, and they raise smaller animals like sheep and goats -- but also camels.)

Nick Hollingsworth asked

> Do the lunars have a good enough grip on the solar myth to use the
> LBQ this way?

I'm not quite sure you use the LBQ against the Lightbringers, you use Yelm's myth. However, the Lunars are extremely conversant with solar myths, since many of them are in fact Solars, and they make a point of their continuation of the Solar dynasties.