Postcards from Prax

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:50:58 EDT

Andreas asks:
<<
 Do the Bison tribe only herd bison or do they have primarily bison, but some  cattle also? I haven't been able to find some reference in some of the books I
 have about what is allowed according to the fact of Waha.

The Bison tribe would ride bison, and that would be their primary herd animal, but their herds would include any other animals captured in the constant raiding of the Praxians. Since Bison riders need Bison to ride they would slaughter and eat other animals in preference to Bison, and perhaps even trade animals that were a nuisance to herd (impala) or otherwise a bit of a hinderance (herdmen). Bear in mind that Praxian animals prefer different pasture at different times so non tribe beasts are likely to get second class grazing. I don't think cattle survive well in Prax, only managing in fertile lands such as the Good Place.

 Another thing I've begun to feel is that it is sometimes very hard to visualize
 some parts of Glorantha. Prax for example, if all those beasts are living there
 it ought to be pretty fertile, but it's described as being pretty barren.

I generally picture Prax as a cross between a wildlife program on the African savannah (without any lions) and a Western movie, with Praxians as the Indians, and the Lunar Army as the cavalry  Are there someone who can direct me to some more usefull resource than  "Postcards from Glorantha" on the Issaries site. It's pretty much useless if  you can't find the book Greg is refering too...

I have to break a digest rule and agree on this point. But, any dramatic scenery can be used to represent somewhere in Glorantha.

Keith N