Xiola Umbar and Orlanth

From: rlfenner_at_netcom.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:30:12 -0700

Philip Hibbs wrote:

>Can anyone think of any myths that link Xiola Umbar and the
>Orlanth pantheon?

Hi

Actually I don't think that Xiola looks that favourably upon Orlanth. He is the cause of a great deal of pain and suffering for people that had nothing to do with his argument with Yelm. IMO Xiola's philosophy about protecting the innocent, and all that people and trolls suffered because of Orlanth's actions would preclude a favourable inclination.

With that said, Orlanth fought chaos which may earn some redemption for him. At best, I think Xiola neutral to Orlanth. The Kygor Litor Priestess will likely be harder on the character.

I think your PC is going to need to show some extenuating circumstances to his current condition (ie - show that he/she is innocent, and didn't do things as an Orlanthi that she is dead set against). Fighting off some chaos threat to the troll enclave would help, maybe protecting some helpless group (at some personal risk). Perhaps going through a variant of the ritual of rebirth after performing some quest for the Priestess?

As for linked myths, you could probably come up with a myth involving them at "I Fought, We Won".... Richard Fenner

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #6