Lunar topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:27:11 +1200

Chris Bell:

>Let's not forget that there is still strong Orlanth worship in much of
>the Lunar Empire, within the Glowline, much to the Empire's chagrin
>(Riskland/Skanthiland, Rebel Tarsh and so on),

None of those lands are within the Glowline. There is weak Orlanth worship within the Glowline.

>Lunar worship seems broad but shallow in
>the conquered provinces, as when Argrath liberates Tarsh people seem
>to return to the old Lightbringer worship rather quickly.

Do they? He's intervening on the behalf of a prominent Lunar family which seems to suggest Lunars are still flavour of the month in Tarsh. Not to mention that Argrath's liberation is rather fleeting itself.

Secondly most of the provinces have been lunar-controlled when Tarsh was formed. Thus I'd expect it to the Lunar Way to be reasonably well-entrenched in those places.

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Lunar Sorcerers from the
>Heartlands worship the IG in a Henotheistic way along with the Lunar
>Pantheon? Or is this an RQ3 construct?

Even the RQ supplements don't quite support this as any Lunar Sorcerers (there's two: one in Strangers in Prax and the other in Shadows on the Borderlands) are rather limp in the non-sorcery department.

Greg's writings (at the back of enclosure#1) seem to indicate the Lunars believe that sorcerers have no contact with their God. Likewise the Red Moon article in Tales #16 indicates the viewpoints (materialist, theist and mystic) are pretty much seperate.