Re: Solars; Pentans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:28:22 -0700

Peter Metcalfe wrote, in regard to "Yelmic" doesn't mean "Solar":

> Lodril and Oria are not Solar deities.

Sure, and Issaries isn't a Storm deity. But he's part of the Storm pantheon, just as Lodril and Oria are part of the Solar pantheon.

Nick said similar.

So if all you guys are saying is that Yelm's Pantheon does not consist exclusively of Solar deities, I have one word to say: duh. It's still called a Solar pantheon. This handle lets you know much about it -- tends to patrilineal, hierarchical structures, likes celestial objects, reveres horses, is a pantheon and as such has a range of deities, etc.

Nick added

> Q: is there a bizarrely modern Pentan tribe that worships Storm gods, herds
> horses and rides cattle? (If not, why not?)

I can't imagine any cattle-riding Pentans, the culture is defined by horses. Storm-worshipping, cattle-herding, horse-riders, sure.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #21