S(olar)LBQ.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:11:10 +0100 (BST)

Chris Bell makes several interesting observations on the 'Solar LBQ':

> A better approach to a 'taming the Barbarians' HQ would be the
> ritual re-enactment of the Cosmic Justic myth, GROY Pg 37.

Unless I misunderstand your point (or my own, or someone else's: heaven knows, all those have happened) that _is_ what people mean by the LBQ, from the Solar angle.

> it seems that Yelm resurrects by accepting and understanding that
> he was wrong for certain aspects of his rule, and by acknowledging
> this, he become Illuminated. He become the ruled, and thus
> becomes worthy of ruling them (GRoY, Pg 37)...

Hrm, I think it's not as simple as 'Oops I was wrong', or 'Ah, Subjects have feelings, too!' It's about identifying oneself (and I mean in a much stronger sense than just 'understanding the POV of') with everything that one is not -- which is, as GRAY helpfully explains before describing Yelm doing it, of course impossible. (Apologies to D. Adams.)

> The second way, more esoterically, would be that this could
> be used as a traditionally Yelmic route to Illumination, with
> Heroquesters following Yelm's route to Illumination. No doubt
> this would be a preferred route for Yelmic leaders and mystics.
> However, if you fail in this Heroquest, you *don't* come back.

While there is indeed some traditional Yelmic route to Illumination, and we don't know much at all about its methods, I'm not instantly gripped by the proposition that it involves having yourself killed in order to self-resurrect! That's more to do with the 'theistic' understanding of this myth, not the 'mystical' one.

> And it seems to me that the Lunar Empire doesn't really want
> to make peace with the Orlanthi peoples, but to destroy or enslave
> ("heal") their gods and ways of life.

Hey, you say tom-ay-to, I say tom-ah-to...

G'luck,
Alex.