Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #19

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:33:25 +1000

The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> On that sense, Xunwukong (monkey king) appeared on "Xiyouji" (I forget
> appropriate French? title version of Westfaring for Buddism scriptures) who
> makes rebellion against Celestial Emperor simply act as natural to his
> situation.

In Australia, on the ABC at Saturdays, from 0900-1200, they're showing re-runs of "Monkey". When originally screened, Australia didn't have colour TV, and this is the first time it's been repeated.

This classic Buddhist tale of the journey of the monk Tripitaka, along with the Monkey-King, a Cannibalistic Fish-spirit (former Marshal of the Heavenly Hosts thrown out for breaking a Sacred Cup) and a gluttonous Pig Spirit ( also a former Marshal of the Heavenly Hosts, thrown out for making unwanted advances to the star-spirit Vega), is very worth watching. The Monkey-King/Monkey-God also was thrown out of Heaven for misdeeds too numerous to mention (eating the whole crop of peaches that confer immortality being just one of them). Then he was imprisoned under a mountain for 500 years, being fed iron balls and molten copper, before being released.

Only 26 episodes were translated into English.

It's a Classic Heroquest, attempting to retrieve Holy Scriptures, in a journey from China to India. The original is heavily allegorical, and Pilgrims' Progress is very much in the same vein.

There are some interesting turn-abouts: the Buddha is shown in his female aspect, while the boddhisatva Kwan-Yin in reply takes on her Male one.

It's very Gloranthan.

If you possibly can, get this on video. And if anyone in Japan knows where to get the complete set, I'd be interested. My Japanese is non-existent, but I have friends who are fluent. - --

              http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au     <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
 abrain_at_cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo     oo

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #22