Lunar discourse

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:25:10 -0400

Me:
> However, there is no reason to suppose that blood is a definitive road
> to rule or Shah legitamacy.

Nick replies:
>I had assumed that the title "Shah" had some degree of odium attached to=

it
>in the early Empire after the overthrow of Carmanian rule, and would fal=
>into disuse for that reason.

I looked on it as being simply another word for "King" or "Ruler" in Carmanian, something that doesn't tend to fall into disuse due to politic= al
changes. =

> IMO, the Shah of Carmania is any man who rules Carmania and calls himse=
lf
> Shah without being offed immediately :)

>Magnificus, contrariwise, is only referred to as "Shah of Carmania" by h=
is
>political enemies in the Dara Happan Senate. This looks like a slur rath=
er
>than an encomium.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from but from their "Lofty Imperial" vantage, anything else seems parochial and rural. However, I think Magnificus was both proud of his origins and quite capable of defending himself, as he proved. After all the vaunted Imperial had been crushed, only the non-DH Sylilans, Glamourites and Carmanians came out of the occupation with laurels.

> Yes the Shahs took a pasting at the 4 Arrows, yes they lost a lot of
> power but I doubt that their rituals were expunged completely.

>Which other overthrown Second Age empire had unique royal rituals which
>survived and are still used to this day by its enemies and successor
states?
>The EWF? The Jrusteli God Learners? The House of Errinorru? So why the
>Carmanians?

I see a difference between the Carmanian royalty, which used the Idovanic=

_philosophy_ to empower their deities and disempower their enemies and th= e
various 2nd age Empires you mention. Simply put, the culture that spawne= d
the magics of the latter was either destroyed or irrevocably changed to a=

point that allowed no access to the magics used. The Carmanians on the other hand were extant throughout the whole period as a culture and certainly as a religion and philosophy. Yes the Lunars influenced and controlled them, but I do not think that they were eradicated in the same=

way. Therefore their magic would have to have been largely the same befo= re
and after the Lunar conquest.

> I believe that [Magnificus'] weaponry included a significant amount of
> Carmanian old ritual, as well as Lunar power.

>I agree completely. But I do not think this included his recognition as
>Shah, or his embodiment of specifically Carmanian royal magical power.
This,
>IMO, was snuffed out at the Four Arrows of Light, and has not returned.

Okay, I disagree with you on that point. I think that even if parts of i= t
were lost during 4 Arrows, there would have been no reason why the Emperor/Shah or many of his new Carmanian noblity couldn't have resurrect= ed
or quested for the lost powers.

> I also think that the manifestation of Carmanian magics at a specially
> selected point largely helped the Lunars defeat the Seleric warband and=

> thus allowed Shengs defeat.

>I agree completely. But I do not think these are those specific magics
>personal to the Shah of Carmania.

Not all of them, probably not even most of them, but some IMO. I think i= ts
this Imperial diversity that makes the Emperor/Shah so damn nasty.

>> I don't think the Magi, the Satraps of Carmania, etc. would think [the=

>> Red Emperor] was the "top man" in their institutions -- rather, he'd b=
>> seen as the only person who can boss around (or intervene against) the=

>> Hierophant, the Governor of the West Reaches, or others.

> It depends on the period you are talking about.

>Of course. And Magnificus was a uniquely Carmanian case, as you'll
>recognise.

Yes I do. I agree that he was uniquely Carmanian but he was also the shaper of the new Empire after the destruction of most of the Egi. =

Therefore the new Imperial, non DH traditional form of rule that followed=

on after Magnificus was created by him and in part by the Carmanian influences and views he subscribed to.

Regards

Martin