Re: Lunars and their Empire

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:53:57 EDT

Phillip Grawe:

<< Playing some Orlanthi Sartarite (and running them), I'd always imagined
the Lunars in the style of the Romans - an Emperor at the top and the crack Legions marching in on the poor, old, Sartarites. Lots of grand buildings with columns and names like Julius and Antonius. [snip]

      With Sultrans/Satraps and Shah's and Yelmic Dara Happans with a hefty lot of
 other cultures that got caught up, all being part of the Empire, my Roman  Lunars kind of disappear in a puff of logic and get replaced by something  much more...Gloranthan, I guess.>>

      I disagree that the Lunars don't have many parallels with the Romans - its just that they have so many other cultures in there, too. The Lunars are not homogenous, rather they are a mix of different cultures; Carmanian, Dara Happan, Rinliddian, Sairdite, etc. The Roman parallels are in there too, though - many of Fazzur's general staff in the Genertela Book really do have Latinised names, as do the Red Emperors. Whenever artwork in GRoY and the other works-in-progress is supposed to be specifically modern Lunar (as opposed to older Carmanian, Dara Happan, Pelandan or whatever) it looks Hellenised or Roman, as does the legionnaire in the Genertela Book. But the Roman-types are by no means the whole - or even the majority - of the Imperial population.

<< - - The Lunars accept chaos. Does this mean that Broos and Scorpion Men
walk
 the streets of Glamour and other cities ? Does it mean that chaos features are the latest fashion accessory in Glamour this season ? I mean, Broos are still disease ridden, and still stink. >>

     We have safe, entirely controlled Chaos here in the Empire. The government has officially declared that their procedures for containment of Chaos are entirelt adequate, and that there is no risk to the public at all. No siree, not a smidgen.

     That's why we keep it out on the fronteir, not in the Heartlands.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky