Re: Strategy'n'Sorcery

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:58:34 +0100 (BST)

Roderick and Ellen Robertson (I'm assuming mainly the former) write:

> Since Formation, Discipline and Bravery are all considered "Magical" even
> today, I tend to agree with you somewhat - there still is a place for the
> 11th Orlanthi Bombing Wing and the FireSpear Brigade.

I agree; I just want to be very wary of the trap of thinking that because such things exist, then military doctrine ends up like that of a Soviet fighter wing, or US Air Cav, rather than being broadly speaking, Ancient&Med with some Cool Magical Stuff(TM).

> > Where it _does_ make a big difference is where non-traditional-enemies
> > clash, or when some bright spark comes up with some brilliant new mythic
> > or magical organisational wheeze.

> Case in point - The Poralistor River story in the Entekosiad (Page 50): The
> Porals (sons of a River God) wanted to conquer, and the Earthshakers wanted
> to stop them. The Porals enlisted the aid of Storm Gods. Since the Earth
> folk were ready to fight the Water folk, they were taken blindside by the
> arrival of the Raging Storm, and were defeated even though Earth normally
> defeats Air.

Four Arrows of Light would be a broadly similar instance, I gather.

> > > This issue has still to be resolved, although Roderick is doubtless
> > > working on it and will come up with a cool and useful answer.
> >
> > Hope you rise to this billing (challenge?), RR!
>
> Cool enough?

Well, actually I was hoping for a full set of medium-tactical level miniatures rules, with copious use of special secret magic/tactical orders -- but I shall generously give you a little grace to finish coming up with those. ;-)

Take care,
Alex.