Re: Strategy'n'Sorcery

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_jps.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:31:01 -0700

> Roderick and Ellen Robertson (I'm assuming mainly the former) write:

Dang, the secret's out, it's really all Ellen, the Secret behind my Success

> > Since Formation, Discipline and Bravery are all considered "Magical"
even
> > today, I tend to agree with you somewhat - there still is a place for
the
> > 11th Orlanthi Bombing Wing and the FireSpear Brigade.
>
> I agree; I just want to be very wary of the trap of thinking that
> because such things exist, then military doctrine ends up like
> that of a Soviet fighter wing, or US Air Cav, rather than being
> broadly speaking, Ancient&Med with some Cool Magical Stuff(TM).

Well, since I'm much better at Ancient&Med warfare than Modern Military Doctrine (of whatever stripe), I hope to inject the proper amount of, um, chaos into the mix :-)

There's still an awful lot of people in Glorantha that *don't* have great discipline, at least above the Clan level (think of the "discipline" shown by the Highlanders at Culloden. I'm not so proud that the division (Atholl) my family was in was the cause of a lot of the problems).

Part of the problem confronting a commander in Glorantha is to integrate all the disparate elements of his force into a coherent whole. The Lunars at least have the Red Vexillum, which allows units from different cities to work together. Pity the poor Orlanthi warchief who has his death-chanting Humakti thegns, flighty Orlanthi warriors, hot-headed chaos-chasing Uroxi and earthy Carls. Not to mention the feud that this group has with that clan, and "It's our place to be on the Right Flank", and "He stole my prize shield". Sometimes I imagine it as a huge carload of children, and the poor warleader saying "Do you want me to stop this war RIGHT NOW and let you all out?" and "Don't make me come back there".

> Well, actually I was hoping for a full set of medium-tactical level
> miniatures rules, with copious use of special secret magic/tactical
> orders -- but I shall generously give you a little grace to finish
> coming up with those. ;-)

Awf'ly good of you, old chap, I *do* hope you can wait at least until the main rules are done, so I can get the basics of the game in place.

Roderick, not Ellen.