Re: Storm Bulls and Land

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:25:47 +0100 (BST)

Benedict Adamson:
> In my mind I have an image of a enraged Storm Bull cultist, enraged
> by his uncooperative oxen, yoking himself to his plough and ploughing
> a field alone.

So do I, now, and a rather hilarious one it is, too!

Dom Twist:
> Correct of Course. But if somehow one HAS rights to it...(for example 3
> brothers who take over a stead that their father farmed)...and then one of
> them takes to Storm Bull's path....are the two remaining brothers going to
> take over his share? Maybe, Maybe Not.

The issue only really even arises if there's some dispute between the three brothers (or their descendants). (I doubt it would be usual, and perhaps not legally possible, to formalise such a 'shares' arrangement.) But they could have some such agreement between themselves, and the chief is unlikely to care beyond the level of detail of "the land beyond the alder trees is farmed by the Benkri stead, as it has been these dozen generations". If one of them starts getting shirty about it, then we have a messy clan custom argument (or as they're otherwise known, scenario).

I don't mean to suggest that the above would by any means be inevitably unstable: Storm Bulls aren't _entirely_ socially useless <g>, so the family might be quite happy with the above. Even if he's a royal pain in the rumpsteak, arguing with your closest kin about Mere Money (or mere grain, which amounts to the same thing) would be seen as a very mean, petty, un-generous and generally shameful thing to be doing (especially in public!). But at least to an extent the Uroxi may be leaning on his siblings' good graces.

> And are YOU going to tell that Storm Bull it's not his stead anymore?

Dunno, who am I for the purposes of this question? One of his brothers, the chief, the clan lawspeaker, the family across the way who have disputed the claim for years...?

> I think that Thralls farming Storm Bull owned lands would be pretty common.
> What else does a Storm Bull do with someone captured in battle, or do they
> just never take prisoners?

Probably not a nicety that occurs to one in the midst of a Berserker Rage, but certainly possible. I think the real test here is whether taking thralls is offensive to local tradition or not. In some clans with a tradition of raiding, exactly tribute, etc, thrall-taking for fun and profit might make sense. (As long as you don't mind your neighbours hating you even more.)

Take care,
Alex.