Pol Joni cattle in Prax

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:18:23 +0100

Peter Metcalfe asks:
>If any old cattle can survive on the chaparral, then what good then is=20=
Waha's covenant?
It might be useful to point out that to survive is not necessarily to thrive=2E=20=  Animal's dietary needs vary by the time of the year and it might be that the=20= Pol Joni cattle can survive at certain seasons on the chapparal=2E Then again=20= it might be that they _would_ be able to survive all year round were it not=20= for their inability to successfully compete with the better-adapted true=20= Praxian animals=2E Either of these factors would lead to the Pol Joni being=20= limited to certain areas; either where seasonal migration back to superior=20= pasture was possible or where the tribes were able to mount at least a=20= partial defence against inward migration by bisons, sable or whatever=2E

I'll see if I can find the description of chaparral in my old ecology text=20= book=2E I seem to recall it's a fairly bushy terrain which is kept from=20= developing into forest mainly by the action of frequent brush fires=2E

By the way, do we have any information on the other Barbarian Horde clans=20= apart from the counters in Dragon Pass? I rather assumed that "Barbarian=20= Horde" was an outdated term equating to "Pol Joni tribe" and that the=20= counterbacks could be read as "Pol Joni clan of the Pol Joni tribe", "Amber=20= Clan of the Pol Joni tribe" etc=2E Am I wide of the mark?

Richard Crawley