Moonboats

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:08:09 +1200

>From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>

>NB: IIRC, where the tape cuts out on p.89, MOB and Sandy and I were
>speculating about Moonboat safety measures -- the ones the priestesses
>demonstrate at the start of every flight, which experienced travellers like
>the Coders ignore -- and how there's almost certainly a 2-point "Parachute"
>rune spell matrix provided for every passenger in the event of an emergency
>like a Glowline failure; and how, tragically, in the event of a Glowline
>failure, you wouldn't be able to cast a 2-point Lunar rune spell in any
>case... One for the MGFers among us, maybe?

I did have the idea that since Moonboats were made in Darjiin, that the actual crew of the moonboats were coarse, unruly and lewd Darjiinians, who adorn their Moonboats with lewd images to be viewed from below. Their emergency bouyancy magic would be to drop their britches and make the sign of the Moon over the gunwales of the Moonboat.

Of course, Darjiinians being what they are, like to 'practice' this over Dara Happan cities to shock the Dara Happans there. They _do_ take care to invoke some missile protection in case some Noble decides to re-enact Lukarius's shooting down the Moon with bows and arrows.