Pol Joni

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:11:34 +1200

Chris Bell:

>"These cattle people offered proper sacrifice to the
>deities of the Paps and steadily forced their way into
>Prax history as the "illegitimate" tribe of Prax."
>(ROC, Page 14)

Actually found in the original Pavis boxed set and unchanged since then. But the final word belongs to KoS:

	"They called themselves the Poljoni, but the Praxians
	called them the "bastard tribe" and the illegal tribe
	because they were not pure, or worshippers of the Prax
	and Paps deities".
			KoS

Although it later says that some Pol Joni went to the Paps to worship, this is not proof of the Pol Joni as a whole being worshippers of Prax and Paps deities, let alone the specific worship of Waha. The Lunars, Pavis and the Pure Horse Tribe also worship there but nobody describes them as being Praxians!

>(1) Offering proper sacrifice at the Paps implies knowledge of the
>Waha religion and worship in the Waha manner.

I believe I've already quoted Drastic: Prax which contradicts this. The Pol Joni as a whole do not respect the sanctity of the Paps nor do any worship Waha. This was apparently based on the unpublished Prax Pak as the credits for the entire article indicate.

>Therefore,
>this implies to me that the Pol Joni must have amongst them
>those who can worship and lead rites in the manner of standard
>Praxian religion...Waha Khans and Priestesses of Eiritha.

Even if some Pol Joni worshipped at the Paps, this only proves that they worshipped Eiritha. Why would they need to worship Waha? I don't see Bituarian Varosh, a Goldentongue Priest, flaunting his nomadic tattoos to be allowed into the sacred mysteries of Eiritha.

>Uralda
>has no mythology tying her to the plains...in order to support any
>herds on the plains, it seems to me that one needs to play by the
>rules of Prax (the survival covenant), or not at all.

The Survival Covenant confers upon the beasts, among other things, the ability to survive on Chaparral. The Pol Joni live in the Good Place and the Better Place which are not Chaparral and are places which ordinary cattle can be grazed. Thus they have no need for the Survival Covenant and it is quite clear that they do not adhere to it.

>(2)While the Better Place may be able to support cattle in perhaps the
>traditional Sartar way, places like No Man's March seem to me to be at
>best typical chapparal.

Look at the Cults of Prax Map at:
http://www.glorantha.com/library/maps/cop-bitmap.jpg

and you can see that it's not. About two-thirds of it has the same vegetation as the Good Place and the River of Cradles.

>The approaches to the storm hills would no doubt
>be traversed by the Pol Joni for religious reasons,

What religious reasons? The founder of the Pol Joni was born in the Dundealos Tribe of Sartar and he entered Prax with his new people there, founding Barbarian Town.

>and they'd stick near Moonbroth since it's a major settlement.

Moonbroth is however a Lunar Fort and Tales #15 (Holiday: Prax) says that the Lunars kicked out the Pol Joni from the oasis ever since the Battle of Moonbroth.

>Otherwise, it seems that they Pol
>Joni don't get quite the pick of grazing as the other Prax tribes do,

Occupying prime choices of Praxian real estate called the Good Place and the Better Place doesn't count?

>And in order to survive on the plains, IMO Waha worship would be fairly
>mandatory, although no doubt in a manner that's quite the bit different
>from traditional Prax worship.

Not so. The Pavis Survivors do not worship Waha, but their Zebras can survive on the Chaparral and they pay some respect to the Paps. So why should the Pol Joni worship Waha?

>BTW, did the Pol Joni ride against the Lunars at Moonbroth? I assume
>they did...

Suprisingly they are not listed in Borderlands as having done so. The Bison and Impala gathered Rhinos, the Pavis Survivors, the Agimori, the Newtlings, the Basmoli Beserkers, the Bolo Lizard people, a few Oakfed Shamans and even some Broos. Despite all this preparation, nobody noticed the Pol Joni.

I'm not suprised about their no-show as circa 1607:

	"The Pol Joni, unsupported by Sartar help, were mauled
	in a battle against combined Praxian forces.  This
	alliance caused the Lunars to suspect that the demigod,
	Waha, was likely to return again in person soon."
				KoS p144

So the Pol Joni are still very weak in 1610 and have a major grudge against the Praxians over the thumping they took less than three years before. Wonder what the Pol Joni did to earn such treatment, if the Praxians didn't already hate them so much?