Pol Joni and Carts

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:37:18 +1200

MOB:
KR>>>And while there may be a shortage of wood in Prax, they are

>>>perfectly able to go into the surrounding areas where wood isn't so
>>>rare.

Me>>But those woods are occupied by other people.

>Which might lead to expeditions, raiding, trading, treaties, and all
>sorts of social intercourse between the cultures.

The nearest woods cover the Division Hills in the shadow of the Indigo Mountains and are infested by trolls (the Sazdorf came from there) and Telmori.

There is a place on the other side of the woods called Torkan's Last Fort, but that is a defensive fort against whatever lies in those woods AFAIK.

>Surely Peter, history is all about people from one place
>needing/coveting/desiring stuff from another place, and then using fair
>means or foul to get it.

Just because they can get it from another place does not mean they will have large amounts of it. Consider the avaliability of metal. The Praxians are found with metal weapons (usually stolen) but they do not have sufficient amounts to smith their own weapons.

What I'm trying to get across is that wood falls in the same category - the Pol Joni are able to get their hands on wood for their tools, weapons and shields but I do not believe that they have enough wood to furnish every family with a cart.

Nick Brooke:

>>> While there may be a shortage of wood in Prax, [the Pol Joni] are
>>> perfectly able to go into the surrounding areas where wood isn't so
>>> rare.

>> But those woods are occupied by other people.

>Who are for the most part the Sartarite *allies* of the Pol Joni, and
>well able to provide them with wood.

For a price. While the Prince of Sartar may well see the value of a Pol Joni alliance, I doubt that the Telmori, the Torkani and the Aranwyth would consider helping those "Praxian Cattle Thieves" any more than is necessary.