Lunar Assassins

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:26:55 +1300

Stephen Royle:

>Can anybody throw any light on who are used as assassins in the
>Lunar Empire.

There are different kinds of assassins, each with their own methods. That way, more precautions are needed to protect their victims and they cannot protect themselves against every single method of attack.

The richer clans would train their own assassins while the poorer ones have to make do with hired scum. There's no Dart Assassin's College within the empire that trains Dart Assassins - the nearest would be the Blue Moon School upon the Blue Moon Plateau.

I imagine the assasin deities vary from place to place. For example, Carmanians would use sorcerers and spolites (evil darkness folk), Darjiinite assasins might worship Kotor the Black Snake, Darsenites would go for Blue Orogeria (Lunar Hunting Goddess) while the Rinliddi could worship the Bat as she is their death goddess (such assassins would be separate from the feeders of the Bat). There are tons of other sorts of gods that can be used in such a manner.

Even those cults which normally don't look like assassin material can be perverted given the largess of the Houses. For example, Black Shargash (hideous lord of destruction) is normally worshipped by ash-coated emaciated mystics, uninterested in the real world. There is undoubtedly at least one mystic who has fallen out of the Dark Side and is selling out his expertise for hire.

The best assassins are those trained in the ultrablue radiations of the Blue Moon Plateau. However they are usually fanatical initiates of the Blue Moon School so to hire them one would have to either be a bigwig in the Imperial Court or cough up a fortune to the Emperor's Cousin that rules the Blue Moon Plateau.

>One would like an
>assassin style character with a medieval flavour, I'm thinking along the
>lines of Medieval/Renaissance Italy. As the players are all
ancient/medieval >wargamers, I'm trying to give them basic earth parrallels for their >characters.

Safelster might be a better place for the Medieval Italian Assassin style but admittedly there's not much material.