Draconic lore

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:42:10 -0400

> It is not a variant interpretation.

        If two people have different viewpoints, they are variant, by definition (QED).
> reference reveals that "The famous Scholar Wyrm of Heortland
> voices an old complaint when he says the Kralori claims cannot
> be, "because the Kralori are humans"." Hence the Dragon Pass
> 'newts cannot quite stomach Kralorela's existance as it is
> beyond what they understand about Draconism. (" ??)

        Is this referring to the statement that the Emperor is a Dragon? If the Dragonspawn can't tell the difference, how can the Kralori? I prefer to believe the Dragonspawn, and consider the Kralori statement in Elder Secrets to be a cultural claim, and not necessarily a fact.

> It doesn't say that they are heretics, it merely says that the
> western dragonewts considers them to be heretics. After all, the
> Immanent Masters would hardly call themselves heretics, would
> they?

        This is obviously an argument of viewpoint. The word heretic only has meaning if you accept one side's view over the other's. You argue against me here by taking the Kralori view, while previously, you argued against me by taking the Dragonspawn view. The views clearly disagree (they are at variance). You seem far more willing to attack others than to choose one side and defend it.

> Secondly if the quote was meant to refer to only bad draconists,
> surely it would have qualified its statement in some way instead
> of tarring virtually all kralori priests and magicians?

        Certainly possible, but that would mean that all priests and magicians in Kralorela use dragon magics. Are there no Chalana Arroy? No grain gods? No Hsunchen or spiritists in the mountains? Is the Kingdom of Ignorance excluded from this discussion of Kralorela? They have several divine cults, doesn't Kralorela have any?

> >This doesn't change the published fact that there is one or more wings
> >of mounted Dream-Dragons if Kralorela, although they might be coerced
> >into service.
> Was I somehow contradicting this?

        I had believed them to serve willingly, your quote suggests that they would have to be coerced.

> I do not think that the Dragon Pass 'newts would know very much
> about distant Kralorela to distinguish between Good and Bad
> Draconists there. All they would know is that humans live there
> practicing dragon magic.

        My readings had lead me to believe (possibly by mistake), that the dragons had helped put Godunya on the throne to restore the ancient order and destroy the godslearner government. This would have shown friendship, or at least tolerance, between the emperor and dragonkind.

> Godunya _is_ a True Dragon, cf Elder Secrets p16 where it calls
> him the "Emperor Dragon". What prevents a Dragon from taking
> human form, considering that they are capable of so much else?

        While I would not claim it to be impossible, I would claim it to be highly unlikely, and wouldn't the Dragonnewts recognize an ancestor? Frankly, I can't see a real dragon bothering. Elder Secrets is far more likely to be presenting another of Greg's cultural truths... the Kralorelans believe it, so it is true in Kralorela.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #109