Re: Irrippi Ontor

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:10:57 +0100 (BST)

Neil Smith on Irrippi Ontor's pedogical propagandising:

> The most obvious manifestation of this is the weekly public lectures
> given by the temples. They're held every Wildday, and intended for
> the astute layman.

[...]

> (BTW, which is the normal "day of rest" for various cultures? I
> presume Full Moon Day for the Lunars, and Windsday for the Orlanthi,
> these being the days when most folk go to church.)

I think that a formal day of rest is very much a rarity in Glorantha; while weekly worship is pretty common, I doubt there's usually any accompanying prohibition on labour -- and in many cases, no lack of work to be done, either.

OTOH, I have heard of a Heartland custom of artisans and other 'middle-class' types wealthy enough to manage the luxury, while not well-off enough to be yer stereotypical effete noble layabout having half-day Holy Days to pursue such 'worthy' pursuit as the above: Fireday being the most propitious day for endeavours of the Intellect, of course, and that being one of the more common excuses for bunking off work around 3pm...

> In Pavis, these lectures are very popular with the more experienced
> Rubble runners.

For a moment I pictured an intent audience of large scalily-armoured rodents...

Cheers,
Alex.