Auld Wyrmish

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:10:48 +1300

Ian Thompson:

>As regards Auld Wyrmish, I am putting forward the possibility that a
>mass-marketable derivative of this was used as the common tongue in
>the EWF, and it was not the same as the language dragonewts spoke/speak.

As far as our sources go, the common tongue of the EWF is apparently Old Pavic (although they didn't call it that then of course) which contained a large amount of Draconic idiom.

	"OLD PAVIC:  Sometime 500 years before, this now nearly dead
	language was spoken in the Empire of the Wyrms Friends. [...]
	Speakers of this language know Draconic [Auld Wyrmish] at
	1/4 x their Old Pavic ability"
				Runequest 2 p103

	"PELORIAN FARMER LANGUAGES: [...] Three centuries ago
	the rulers [of Peloria] spoke Pentan.  Three centuries
	before that, they spoke a now-extinct Theyalan dialect"
				Glorantha Book p34

Bob Stancliff:

>> Why would you need an operation to understand written Auld Wyrmish?

>Clearly, having your tongue split is to let you make the sounds better,
>and having your brain split is to think draconic concepts better. I was
>referring to exceeding the 25% spoken limit as the EWF did.

But this limit only applies to _spoken_ Auld Wyrmish, not written. I do not think one needs to have the operation to read and write Auld Wyrmish nor is there any published indication that one needs to do so.

As for understanding draconic concepts, the Kralori do not undergo operations to grok the same.