Other Languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:52:36 +1300

Bod Stancliff:
BS>> >I have had characters want to add Waha Knot reading,

>> >Agimori Hunter Sign, and Spirit Speech just because they ran across
>> >them in various module references, and these can certainly be considered
>> >to provide little gain, but possibly enough to be justified in their
>> >character concept.

Me>> The difference between Waha Knot Reading and written Praxian is what?

>Waha Knots are a coded communication separate from the Praxian language.

That's nice, but I was asking about _written_ Praxian. Is there a difference between written Praxian and Waha Knot Reading? If there isn't, then why have seperate skills for the two?

>> Agimori Hunter sign is hardly equivalent to American Sign Language to
>> warrant it being treated it as a language in its own right as you
>> suggest

>I believe that this was listed as a language under Chingua Tall Leopard
>in 'Shadows on the Borderland'.

Still doesn't warrant making PC's wanting to learn it to go through the hoops of learning a whole _new_ language. In the case of Chingua Tall Leopard of River of Cradles Fame, there are better ways of handling Hunter Sign than making it another yet another language. Making it part of craft: agimori hunting and bind it up with other related skills like butchery would have been more useful and the player won't feel fobbed off by going through the process of learning a whole new language for something of limited utility.

>> Lastly learning Spiritspeech to add to 'character concept' is
>> a contradiction in terms without a clear idea of what the language is
>> actually used for ...

>I think that this was listed under Penliss, the Sun County Shaman in
>'Shadows on the Borderland' (that's an interesting concept itself). The
>author certainly felt that many spirits had a unique language.

And what sort of spirits were these? The lack of _such_ information in the scenario makes it worthless.

>> - a module reference is hardly adequate for this purpose IMHO.

>In the sense that all modules are sanctioned by Chaosium and the RQ
>staff, I fully disagree.

Your optimism is touching. It is not borne out by the facts.

Shadow on the Borderlands, for instance, alleges that written Carmanian is different from written Loskalmi and written Brithini which is wrong (all western languages use the same script).

The Lanbril Cult writeup has the infamous Thieves Argot "a distinctive language" that is common to all Lanbril thieves which is used as a "universal language" and to "preserve secrecy" by using it to write "training texts and temple records". The ring decoders are presumably in the errata.

>Many modules have even had new rules and
>clarifications printed in them changing previously printed material.

And how does this help people in deciding what "Speak Spirit Speech 47%" is good for? Without a clear statement of its usage, it was better left out.

>They are also educational to demonstrate things that are considered
>possible that are not covered within the normal rules.

It's educational to know that there exists a language called spirit speech without any idea what its for?