Languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:39:53 +1300

Martin Crim:

[on spiritspeech]

>Mike took that from older sources, possibly WF (sorry don't have sources
>handy), where it was described as the lingua franca of spirits and derived
>from Stormspeech.

It's mentioned in RQ2 as:

	This is a common tongue for spirits when they do not communicate
	by Mind Link.  It is made of parts of all the divine languages,
	but especially stormtongue.

However this notion of divine languages and spirit speech appears to have disappeared from later works such as "The Languages of Glorantha" in the Genertela boxed set so what spirit speech really is is up in the air. If it is shamanically related, it doesn't appear in the cult writeups of Daka Fal, Pamalt, Waha, Kyger Litor or other shamanic cults.

I'm not hostile to the existance of a "spiritspeech" as such, I just like to see it a more plausible definition of it such as Joerg's idea of it being the language of the spirits of Prax and the Wastelands.

Alex Ferguson:

> I'd not take it as a given that Old Pavic and
>_Sartarite_ were even as distinct as that, if both are Manirian
>languages.

The example on p33 of the Glorantha Book implies that they are. Rurik the Restless speaks Sartarite at a quarter of his Old Pavic ability and Tarshite at a tenth of the same. However according to the information presented on p34, Rurik should have been speaking Sartarite at a third of his Old Pavic ability.

Draw your own conclusions.