Dwarven technology

From: Erik Sieurin <erik.sieurin_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:45:06 +0200

Peter Metcalfe in response to someone:
>>The dwarves have created many items of 'magic' that are appropriate for
>>the late medieval and early renaissance periods on earth, and these mark
>>some of the high points of their technology.
>
>I likewise do not believe that their muskets or cannons use RW
>blackpowder but an equivalent magical substance instead. Likewise
>their gnomes and jolanti are seen as magical substances. Thus
>they are examples of Dwarf magic and the dwarves do not see any
>division between magic and technology.

Complete agreement with Peter on this, with a cop-out: it is quite possible that the (al)chemical processes which for instance produces Mostali gunpowder are quite similar to RW processes - they might utilize the same basic ingredients for instance - but the reasons WHY they work and the exact know-how may be very different indeed. It might for instance be impossible for non-Mostali to reproduce them just by following a recipe or somesuch.

Erik, Mostali-lover