Dwarves and slavery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:01:10 +1300

Brian Maloney:

>After all, don't some Mostali (the ones
>who stoop to using non-Mostali as *slaves* instead of just grinding them
>up in the hopper) put their *slaves* onto various tasks?

>Which heresy is it that permits slaves?

Openhandism, on the grounds that they believe non-mostali can perform useful tasks in filfulling the Plan. However I'm only aware of such slaves in Dwarf Run and Slon. Greatway which is also Openhandists and perhaps Gemborg don't appear to have any slaves as such.

Orthodox dwarves see nothing wrong with keeping slaves as such but view them as more trouble than they are worth.