Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #138

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 17:09:52 +1300

TERRA INCOGNITA:
>I'm hardly imagine the difference of pyramid-scape
>of two independent world.
>normal man generals who easily can be killed by assassins.
>should be compared with outer ring of heros, middle demigods,
> and inner guards and god-like-emperor in gloranthan great army.

Gloranthan bigwigs can also commit suicide, be killed by assasins or perish in mundane circumstances. Their deaths should be compared to the deaths of Julius Caesar, Thomas Becket, Pyrrhus

>Who dares to imagine with self-confidence this crack of recognition?
>hero of true world: folk and historical movement/like Napoleon,
>Genghis Khan
>gloranthan hero:personal massacre/Harrek etc.

Harrek is based by Greg upon Harald Hadrada, a famous Norwegian King, although Conan (of Cimmeria, not Britanny) seems to many a more appropiate model.

The gloranthan equivalent of Genghis Khan (as well as Atilla and Timurlame) is none other than Sheng Seleris.

>How do you imagine changes of number in short:
>Decrease and Increase of races and nations in past.

>great darkness decimated much number of all intelectual races
>first age DAWN / Council of Genertela, Old Kralorelan Empire

The changes are less dramatic than you imply. At the Dawn, the humans of Dragon Pass were Orlanthi, the humans of Peloria were Pelorians and so forth. There have been major changes at the top but these are no more dramatic than the French Revolution in changing the ethnographic landscape of europe.