Re: more Auld Wyrmish

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:31:12 EST

In a message dated 10/26/99 6:51:15PM, you write:

<< Why would you need an operation to understand written Auld Wyrmish?  The olfactory, empathic and visual parts of spoken auld wyrmish  are represented on paper like the aural component is - with written  signs. One doesn't need to speak a language to be able to write it.

I agree with Peter on this except to say that if it really requires a different mindset to understand then some of the concepts expressed would not be understood. As an example, my wife cannot understand the Glorantha digest, she doesn't get the concept. She can understand the words and the meaning of sentences but not what the message is. Technical manuals and DIY instructions have a similar effect on me.
Interestingly, their is no mention of Auld Wyrmish speakers having to do anything to get the olfactory part of Draconic communication mentioned by Peter. Did EWFers have a better sense of smell, and the ability to control their smells in some way. (controlled farting seems undignified)

Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #139