Old Pavic

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:29:28 EST

Apologies to those who haven't had their brains adapted to Auld Wyrmish for the length of my quotes in this discussion.

ME
>If you mean the ancestors of Tusk
>Riders then I can understand them being a distinct Orlanthi people.
>However, they were a remnant of the EWf so presumably spoke some
>sort of EWF language, which you say is Old Pavic, and which I think
>is Auld Wyrmish.

 PETER
<< It isn't "according to me". I have stated enough references...>> ME:
It is only the one line of RQ2 rules book, I think, which states that ordinary citizens of the EWF spoke Old Pavic (noting that Pavis was not actually part of the EWF). It doesn't really even state that, it states Old Pavic "was spoken in" not "was the main language of" or "was spoken throughout" just "in".
PETER
<< to show
 that the Wyrmfriends spoke Auld Wyrmish while the ordinary citizens  spoke Old Pavic. Furthermore there are plenty of other remnants of  the EWF that do not speak Auld Wyrmish or some sort of EWF language,  such as the Beast People and the Ducks. >>

ME
So Old Pavic was the language of the EWF and yet neither ducks nor Beast People or Tusk Riders spoke it?
PETER
<< We don't even know the precise relationship the Tuskers had with  the EWF. Elder Secrets speaks of their betrayal by the Dragon  King and their inhumanity might have been a curse because they  refused to join the EWF or warred against it. >> ME:
Interesting speculation but the easiest interpretation is that the 'Dragon King' is the Inhuman King who betrayed the human leadership of the EWF and had them all assassinated. Either way, the Tusk Riders were, at some point, and for some time, part of the EWF.
ME
>The fact that
>you need special Dragon brain/tongue to attain more than 25% in Speak Auld
>Wyrmish, and that normal Old Pavic speakers get 25% in Auld Wyrmish is, I
>think, more than a coincidence.

PETER
 So? I'm not denying that the bigwigs of the EWF spoke Auld Wyrmish.  My position is that the vast majority of the ordinary citizens of  the EWF spoke Old Pavic, a theyalan tongue enriched by Auld Wyrmish.  And a nitpick: most of them would have only known Auld Wyrmish  at 7-10% (according to RQ3 rules) which is worse than a stupid  native.
ME:
My position is that the vast majority of the ordinary citizens of the EWF spoke whatever language they spoke before they became part of the EWF, ie mostly Theyalan languages, but also Dara Happan. Pure Horse Tongue, Beastspeech, Seshnegi (possibly, for those Impious Scholars in Nochet) enriched by Auld Wyrmish. When you say 'most of them' I assume you mean ordinary citizens speaking Old Pavic, with the Auld Wyrmish percentage calculated from that. Am I right in thinking the Inhuman King thought that humans had misuded and misunderstood dracon powers? Do 'stupid natives; misunderstand things? Are the two related. A nitpick: RQ2 states that "speakers of Draconic also know Old Pavic at 1/2 their Old Pavic ability" which is pretty weird (dare I say Draconic) even if it did make sense. (assuming it *meant* that speakers of Draconic knew Old Pavic at half their Draconic ability then the language conversion is not reciprocal.
ME
>Another clue is the name Auld Wyrmish, as opposed to just Wyrmish,
>which implies that it was used a long time ago, during the EWF for
>example.

PETER
 Auld Wyrmish was used long before the EWF. It is the native  language of the Dragonewts ever since Heart of Weakness was  born (and probably before that too). I don't know of any  seperate language called Wyrmish nor any reason why there should  be one.
ME
I never said there was a seperate language called Wyrmish that was different to Auld Wyrmish. No one who spoke Old English called it Old English. The fact that it is refered to (presumably by humans) as Auld Wyrmish seems to me to indicate that it was a language used long ago (by humans). Vistikos didn't say "I've learnt a new language, I'm going to call it Old Wyrmish". I don't suppose the dragonewts refer to their language as Auld Wyrmish either, it is just modern (1621ST) scholars digging through ancient documents. ME
>Incidentally I think it is a bit
>of a passing reference in RQ2 to the origins of Old Pavic and in the
>space allocated one wouldn't expect a full analysis of it's history.
PETER
 Yet "spoken in the Empire of the Wyrm Friends" and "native humans  still speak it" are pretty unambiguous statements. ME
Yes, spoken in the Empire of the Wyrm Friends, I don't doubt that Old Pavic speakers spoke in the Empire, Pavis was on good terms with the EWF after all, even if it wasn't the main or only tongue. Native humans still speak it, a point that I have not been argueing against.