Orlanthi piety

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 19:44:46 +1300

Pokorny Ingeborg:

>1. How many Orlanthi really try hard to live according to the 6 virtues?
>Are they religious to the extent of, say, medieval European societies, or
>are they fairly liberal as today the Irish?

I think this is the wrong analogy to use. The virtues there are not religious in intent like "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery" but social values. You can be a coward or unwise or miserly and still be a devout Orlanthi but people judge you by these virtues and if you become more important then they judge you much harder.

If you are a simple shepherd, then nobody is going to give a damn if you run away at the first sign of a broo. But if you're a King and do so, your tribe is going to be _very_ upset.

>2. I somewhere read about 40% of Boldhome population being Lunar
>immigrants... Is that possible?

I don't recognize the source. It is more likely that 40% of the Boldhome population is either symnpathetic to the Lunar way or actual converts than being imported from Peloria.

>And how many Lunars are there in the
>countryside? How strict and efficient is Lunar surveillance?

The Lunar presense is less in the countryside. Virtually all their troops are stationed in the major urban areas and they rely upon friendly tribes, spies and informants for information about the countryside.