EWF man speak with forked tongue kimosabe

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 08:36:53 EST

In a message dated 11/12/99 7:44:13PM, you write:

<<

 Me>The city is pretty remote from the main Empire

 PETER:
 No, it wasn't. Prax is controlled by friendly horsemen and there was  the skill of Draconic Flying.

So it *was* remote apart from Auld Wyrmish speaking Dragonfriends and Pure Horse speaking nomads.

PETER:
<< That doesn't explain why Old Pavic was spoken _within_ the Empire,
 which strongly implies that it was once spoken throughout a  larger region than Pavis. >>

I am suggesting that the single word "in" in the RQ2 reference should be replaced with "in the time of". Besides this I am also suggesting that Old Pavic was the urban/draconic version of the language of the Pure Horse/Zebra nomads who occupied Prax during the Pavic Golden Age.

PETER
 But Old Pavic is a Theyalan Language and not a Pentan one (cf  the example of Rurik the Restless). Ergo most of the settlers  were Orlanthi from Dragon Pass. Pavis did have a band of Pure  Horse Followers but that did not make the majority of Pavisites  Pure Horse People. The Pure Horse Lineage refers to the  Arrowsmith dynasty who controlled the building in Pavis.

ME:
Again I disagree with your assumption that the majority of original settlers were Theyalan, and that Pavis had more than just a band of Pure Horse followers. The Pure Horse had been pretty much forced out of Prax by Waha and Paragua and therefore there was a whole tribe of horsey folk looking to reestablish themselves, with Pavis and the Faceless statues help, in Prax. The next major influx of people was in 877, with the Theyalan Sun Domers who introduced farming into the valley. Note that this is several decades after the completion of the city. I am guessing here but I suspect that English was not the native language of the majority of immigrants into the USA and yet it is the dominant language because it was there first and subsequent immigrants have always learnt the established language (so , in Pavis, a draconic version of Pure Horse). Please advise me what language you think Joraz Kyrem spoke? or the rest of the Arrowsmith Dynasty until 940?

The evidence that Pure Horse was still spoken by people is that the Pure Horse still spoke it, and their descendants (the Grazelanders) still speak it. The zebra people speak Old Pavic. I do not believe that a whole tribe, albeit non traditionalist types who give up horses for zebras, would change from one language (Pure Horse) to another (some Theyalan dialect) just because some immigrant farmers spoke it.

Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #149