Krang's Table

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:30:22 +1300

Al Petterson:

>I'm surprised at the comments about Krang's Table. It seems to me
>that clever players would find ways to avoid being led by the nose
>into capture and buck-naked kamikaze charge.

I do not see what is so suprising about pointing out that the writer wrote it to hose down PCs. Even you admit that it requires near-rune PCs to complete and even a rewrite to allow alternative means of entry.

I'm sure that if the writer had expected flying PCs to appear in the adventure, he would have taken to address how the trolls will respond with deadly efficiency.

Two other things grate with the scenario as written.

i) The trolls rival the lunars for military discipline.

    They have regular patrols, guard-posts and special tactics (such as using mindspeech to raise the alarm, the every-ready stone plug to stop people coming in through the basement), which seems rather strange to trolls. I would normally expect them to have a more relaxed attitude to security.

ii) There is a significant contrast between the scenario

    beginnings (being hired by a dull butcher and messing around with street thugs) and the toughness of Krang's Stronghold itself. If the adventure is intended for near-rune PC's then the Dolphin gang has an unexplained death-wish. If it isn't, then Krang's Stronghold is needlessly over-the-top compared to what has gone before.

>I found the Krarsht tunnels scarier.

And did it achieve this effect by having loving descriptions how how you can't get in this way because of the cleverness of the Krarshtkids?