Krang

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:40:06 +1100

G'day all,

Krang

Al Petterson wrote:

>>I'm surprised at the comments about Krang's Table. It seems to me that
clever
>>players would find ways to avoid being led by the nose into capture and
>>buck-naked kamikaze charge. Mine certainly would. (Major spoilers here for
>>Krang's Table, if anyone cares.)

I don't have a problem with any of Al's excellent suggestions for playing "Krang's Table" and winning through. Any sufficiently powerful party - with inventive players and in the hands of an experienced GM - could stroll though it: the Lunar Coders, frex, could probably fit in "Krang's Table" before morning tea, and Onslaught probably already has a sizeable collection of Eiretha Tables stashed in his rec room. But the scenario seems more aimed at the standard adventurer-lowlife end of the scale, who would find what's waiting for them in trolltown very tough going indeed. At least "The Cradle" warns the GM it is dangerous, and could kill 80% of the player characters.

What I find disappointing about "Krang's Table" is that it is written as if the PCs *will* fail, and offers no suggestions to GMs about how to get them out (other than the bollock-naked charge out to a "glorious death"). I think this is poor scenario design and sloppy editing. Given the general high quality of Chaosium's RQ2 output of the time, I'm suprised it got through.

As I said in my last post on the subject, for maximum playability and game fun, I think the scenario should have had a section at least offering suggestions; the fact that it doesn't strikes me as odd. As it stands, inexperienced players will get their characters creamed (especially in the hands of a GM who follows the plot as written), and most experienced players will simply say 'sod that'. Doesn't make for a particularly fun evening's gaming.

But, as Al also says, does anyone really care? If it had been published in a magazine - even TotRM - I probably wouldn't. I had a pretty low opinion of the adventure when I first read through it way back in 1984, and only it's reppearance in Gloranthan Classics "Pavis & Big Rubble" prompted me to bring it up again.

Cheers,

MOB