Babeester Gor

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:30:01 +1300

Andrew Larsen:

> The listing in the Prosopaedia says that she was born from her
>mother's corpse, which doesn't make much sense, given that she's the
>daughter of Ernalda and Ernalda wasn't killed during the Godtime.

Although Ernalda wasn't killed, she and other earth gods did go into the Death Sleep to protest the brutal murder of Flamal. Babeester was born after this occurred.

>This suggests that her worshippers are berserkers, and indeed
>she has the Berserk rune spell, but why use Berserk when you
>can use Axe Trance and Great Parry instead?

Because Axe Trance and Great Parry are somewhat flawed in their descriptions? Best answer I can think of.

> Wyrms Footnotes says that she goes invisibly and commands the
>spirit of Silence, but nothing else seems to elaborate on this, and it
>contradicts GoG.

The GoG cult writeup is a shortform and does not include the many cult spirits that Babeester Gor would have access to. Merely because GoG does not mention that she gets a silence spell does not mean that her worshippers do not have access to them.

>Snakepipe Hollow seems to suggest that she was turned into a
>statue, but I haven't found anything to clarify this point.

That's an idol of Babeester Gor, not the Goddess herself.

> Any thoughts on all of this?

Here is Greg's latest mythlet of her, which was part of the myth of the month at Glorantha.com several months ago.

        Babeester Gor was born from Ernalda's dead body, and with her great axe she killed everything which had harmed her mother,

	especially the Talokans who were exterminated, man, woman,
	child, and deity, and whose blood Babeester Gor brewed to be
	her deadly food. This drink, or perhaps another made from
	Babeester's own blood, once fortified Orlanth when he was in
	the Underworld. She stood vigilantly over Ernalda's corpse
	until the Dawn, when life began again and Ernalda rose from
	her deepest slumber and took her dear daughter into her loving
	arms. Since then devotees of Babeester Gor have stood guard in
	Ernalda's temples, and avenged her wrongs.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #158