Uz Security

From: Frusetta James <JNF990_at_st.aubg.bg>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:50:43 +200

I don't have a copy of Krang's Table handy, so I've kept out of it. And it sounds flawed, if in only not providing proper warning Not to Mess With Krang. But an observation or two:

Peter Metcalfe:
>And trolls can obtain decent security with trollish tactics. The
>Sazdorf manage to live without Krang's security routines.

If anything, it's the Sazdorf who are abnormal. (Let's not forget oddities like such a tiny clan supporting a Zorak Zoran temple. Or, heck, the munchkiness of the Humakti party.) Grubfarm has watchtowers, and it's in a much more secure location in Dagori Inakrth. And trolls in a troll land can rely on a lot more leadtime for the hunters / trollkin / air recon to spot and warn about incoming adventurers. You get a lot less time in the Rubble. Granted, the scenario does sound a little excessive about numbers of trolls and guard posts (though some of these should be internal family vs. family posts, re: Redstone), if they're perhaps a little low-powered (no rune spells, no stored power).

Dan McCluskey:
> In addition, the Sazdorf don't have the
> wonderful treasure that Krang does.

Which, best of all, means that you can pull off some of the menfolk from hunting duty and put them to guarding, a luxury other trolls probably don't have. Good gad, a troll war should have broken out over this lovely, lovely item.

Dan hits the nail on the head:
> grant that the rubble is not an entirely "normal" trollish environment,
> however.

Yer darn tootin'. Any environment when trolls suffer from Dwarves, Elves, Chaotics *and* Humans in the Gloranthan equivalent of a day-trip park for adventurers is going to rapidly encourage paranoia. The families that were lax died out long ago.

Finally, in regards to earlier comments (I've forgotten the source, alas) about how Krang is an easy knock-over for initiates: if the spirit of this is true (trolls = experience checks), then why hasn't the Rubble been cleared out long ago? I mean, jeez, with the number of Lunar/Nomad/Orlanthi/Pavisite adventurers floating throught the place (not to mention the chaos, elves and dwarves!), there shouldn't be a troll left!

The Rubble should be dangerous, and its denizens have probably adapted to the day-packing humans from New Pavis. The best GM representation of this in a campaign I played in was the broo gang that specialized in knocking off the bedraggled remnants of adventuring parties that sauntered in. (They got us *four* times, dang it!) Anyone wandering into the troll ruins deserved to be smacked down hard. (As do idiots who wander off into the plains on foot, who picnic in Elf Woods, etc.)

James Frusetta
jnf990_at_st.aubg.bg

New Bulgarian word or phrase of the moment:

    "Znanieto e sila. Sila razvalya. Haychai silno, stabai zle."