Re: Uz go Regimental

From: Matthew Thale <mattt_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:35:54 -0700

Greetings all,
Jumping in to a discussion about organized Uz...

>Peter Metcalfe:
> >The archetype of a fear-ridden troll is Zorak Zoran.

Dan McCluskey Replies:

>I disagree, (sort of) -- Zorak Zoran is Fear turned to Anger, whereas in
>"normal" trolls, fear becomes obedience. I think that in most ways, a ZZ
>regiment will be much Less disciplined than a Tribe ruled by women. ZZi
>don't like to follow rules, they just try their darnedest to be exactly like
>the most badass troll they know. ZZi leaders don't organize guardposts and
>patrols, they Want enemies to attack, so they can smash them. ZZi lead by
>example, and no death lord is going to waste his time standing guard when he
>could be out looking for trouble -- let the zombies stay home and guard the
>shrine...

I like that the Zorak Zorani have turned fear turned to anger. However, I think that Zorak Zorani trolls do set up "guard" posts. Their reasons for doing so may be a little bit different than a traditional guard post. If you change the name from guard post and call them ambushes, and suddenly they become a lot more fun in the eyes of how I see a typical uz.

As far as wanting enemies to attack, I'm sure that they do. However, they want to be the ones doing the smashing, not being smashed. Setting out ambushes is a good way to ensure that your uz are the smashers. There is no point in being the smashee. "What you think uz is? Enlo?"

I won't argue the point that uz military organization is not going to be the most strictly regimented on the face of Glorantha, however they're not stupid enough to throw away the advantages that fate has given them. They're fighting on their home territory. They know the terrain, and will make use of it.

Thanks,
Matthew Thale