Uz go Regimental

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:21:18 -0800

Peter Metcalfe:
>The archetype of a fear-ridden troll is Zorak Zoran.

I disagree, (sort of) -- Zorak Zoran is Fear turned to Anger, whereas in "normal" trolls, fear becomes obedience. I think that in most ways, a ZZ regiment will be much Less disciplined than a Tribe ruled by women. ZZi don't like to follow rules, they just try their darnedest to be exactly like the most badass troll they know. ZZi leaders don't organize guardposts and patrols, they Want enemies to attack, so they can smash them. ZZi lead by example, and no death lord is going to waste his time standing guard when he could be out looking for trouble -- let the zombies stay home and guard the shrine...

>This is the residence of a troll clan with female uz and
>trollkin around, it is not a high-level military installation.

Exactly. Mothers are the most valuable thing trolls have. There will clearly be more defences for a breeding group than for the barraks of a bunch of "mere men". Also, mothers demand obedience. They can (and do) make the men do stuff "Because I Said So" (look at all of the bizzarre requirements on Karrg Sons) These things make it believable to me that a Clan might go to the sorts of extremes that you see in Krangs Table.

>And trolls can obtain decent security with trollish tactics. The
>Sazdorf manage to live without Krang's security routines.

The Sazdorf are a tiny remnant of a Tribe, living secretively in an isolated ruin. They dont need the sorts of defences that an "Urban" clan like Krangs might. Even so, they have dedicated guard posts, and regular patrols (even during the day!). If I remember correctly, The Sazdorf's closest neighbors are humans over a days ride away, wheras the Krang have something like nine other clans within an hours walk. In addition, the Sazdorf don't have the wonderful treasure that Krang does. I really think that the defences in Krangs Table are plenty trollish, given their environment. I will easily grant that the rubble is not an entirely "normal" trollish environment, however.

danm