Orlanthi Virtues, Lunar Control

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:58:47 +0000

Arthur Pokorny:

> 1. How many Orlanthi really try hard to live according to the 6 virtues?
> Are they religious to the extent of, say, medieval European societies, or
> are they fairly liberal as today the Irish?

IMO the best answer is yes to both. There are extremely devout Orlanthi - - generally either not too well off or well off on their way into the Otherworld, e.g. at Old Wind Temple, or the legendary disappeared Karandoli clan one of the Argraths claims. Probably most Orlanthi are pragmatic people, a lot like the Vikings in their attitude to religion (compare the Red Orm (Roede Orm) by Bengtson). They rely on the magic given by their religious practices in everyday life as well as in extreme situations, but they give leeway to those aspects they don't appreciate over much.

Thus, the virtues may be stretched considerably to accommodate the perspectives of an Orlanthi individual.

> 2. I somewhere read about 40% of Boldhome population being Lunar
> immigrants... Is that possible?

Counting the Lunar garrison, the governor's staff, and Tarshite immigrants, a fair percentage of the population might be Lunar immigrants. I doubt 40% are reached, even including Sartarite converts to the Lunar Way.

> And how many Lunars are there in the
> countryside? How strict and efficient is Lunar surveillance?

I guess Roman Britain could serve as a comparison to Lunar occupied Sartar and Kethaela. There is no great wall to hold off the barbarians, though, yet Lunar presence is strong where there are garrisons, from which patrols will roam as far as they consider it safe to do so. Some tribal kings or even clan chieftains might have Lunar advisors, and some of the local trade has been taken over by Lunar merchants. Then there are the tax collectors who mostly restrict themselves with visits to kings (or chieftains at most).

By controlling key locations, the Lunars survey much (but far from all) traffic across Sartar. Pelorian officials might live in the illusion that they survey all traffic by surveying the roads, and that they can ward off any untoward activity (such thinking led to the Lunar defeat at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious in 1613). Tarshite and other Provincial (trained) forces familiar with the barbarians will know that they control the most convenient ways, and will rely on their ability to retaliate to whatever mischief is done.

A suitably sized band of outlaws (four to thirty) can travel Sartar from Snake Pipe Hollow to Old Wind temple without passing any Lunar control point or scheduled patrol, risking only to be spotted and pointed out by Sartarite herders or hosts, or a chance encounter with Lunar travelers or patrols. For what it's worth, I picture a typical Lunar mounted patrol as 21 riders, three groups of seven. That is, for regular troops - - auxiliary forces like the Char Un rarely conform to textbook approaches, compare Tarsh War for impressions.

Search patrols of footmen like the crescent peltasts in Tarsh War would typically consist of one or more files of seven.

Sartarite clan patrols would be the most likely patrol encountered type of force, and the most risky for the presumed band of outlaws (or adventurers), always suspicious that these illicit travelers plan to raid herds or steads. If the traveling group exchanges the greeting, they usually won't attack them outright, but they might be Lunar friendly, or in need of a Lunar favor, and warn Lunar authorities.

Next most risky would be other bands of outlaws who live on scavenging on travelers, usually with better knowledge of the terrain. While less likely to cooperate with Lunars (unless to gain a favor), as deadly...

If you want to move larger war parties through occupied territory, your risk of being spotted rises dramatically. If a rebel wanted to pull off something in the scale of a tribal raid, he would have to coordinate efforts to neutralize Lunar patrols, way stations, and chance travelers, be it by force or bribe. Or move anyway, letting the Lunars react, and take the chance of facing a large force of superior equipped soldiers.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #164