Re: Orlanthi Virtues, Lunar Control

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:04:31 GMT

Joerg Baumgartner:
> For what it's worth, I picture a typical Lunar mounted
> patrol as 21 riders, three groups of seven. That is, for regular troops
> - auxiliary forces like the Char Un rarely conform to textbook
> approaches, compare Tarsh War for impressions.

Isn't cavalry tradition to ride double-"file"? I've assumed that the usual mounted patrol is 14. (Though mounted patrols needn't be cavalry, especially if you think that a) lunar cav isn't that plentiful, or all that good (which I do), and that b) that dragoons are more common (which I'm not sure about).)

> Search patrols of footmen like the crescent peltasts in Tarsh War would
> typically consist of one or more files of seven.

Peltasts would certainly be the troop type of choice for that small a force; ideally you'd like to keep your phalangists stomping around the countryside in half-centuries (or multiples thereof), but that may not be feasible, if you want to 'show the colours' around the countryside, and only have a finite set of warm bodies to go around.

Cheers,
Alex.