Re: Orlanth and Females

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:00:26 GMT

Dom Twist:
> I could see Humakt being oposed to female
> cultists....women joing the cult losing their fertility and so on.

No more so that men joining the cult would, if you ask me.

> But Orlanth is the Cheiftan of his people and excludes no-one. I have been
> re-reading the stories and legends of Orlanth and I just cant make him out
> that way at all.

Bear in mind, what we're talking about is not membership of Orlanth's community (either social or magical (like there's a difference)), but _identification_ with Orlanth.

> if Orlanth was a overpoweringly male Iron Hans or Red
> John sort of a figure.....the way Storm Bull might be portrayed...then I'd
> turn no hair over his Cult being a male preserve. But Orlanth is, at least
> in some of his aspects, a father figure. The Chieftan and ruler, stead
> keeper and Husband.

Being a father and husband tend to imply maleness, no? The chief/king aspects are _not_ male-only. (Though some kingly positions contain a sacral or fertility component that may cause Complications; see Jane's eye-opening (and mind-bending) Deconstructing Argrath articles...) Jeff has helpfully lobbed in that women can also be initiated into Orlanth's variously thundery mysteries, cultural preconceptions notwithstanding.

> Why should his entire cult be male only, aspects ok, but the whole thing?

Given what's already been said in this thread, I'm not clear what "whole thing" is barred to women that you're objecting to.

Cheers,
Alex.